Friday, August 1, 2014

Depression

Depression can be so debilitating and can easily get you off track and make you wanna just give up. I have suffered with depression phases my whole life. I know what it feels like to not even want to get out of bed, because the dread of another day is so real. I know how it is to look around you and all you see is darkness and now light and hope is obsolete. Your current circumstances you see as never going to change and you just know no one cares and no one believes in you. I use to allow the depression episodes to push me back into the life I use to live, but now I have learned to push through with Jesus as my Hope. I have learned to force myself out of bed and to force myself to do what I know I have to do. Pushing through though sometimes is like being stuck in knee deep mud and you are trying so hard to just get out of it but it seems to weigh you down. Anger seems to raise its ugly head when depression is active in your life, anger towards everybody and everything. But see anger is never the true emotion it is the emotion that surfaces but below the surface another emotion is the root. For me the emotion that is the root is usually sadness and despair and that is why I cry when I become angry. Anger itself can lead to deeper and darker depression if you act out in the anger and let your emotions lead you. That is why it is said to not make life decisions when you are angry because they could be the decision that you would not make if you were in the right state of mind. And to not lash out in anger at someone, usually someone you feel comfortable enough to lash out at, because this will also lead to deeper depression because you will end up feeling such guilt for what you said or did and this is not what you would usually say or do if you were not depressed. Covering up depression is what is taught in this society, because depression is weakness and there is no room in the "out for number one" society for weakness and we want the easy way out and do not want to feel any pain! So giving medication to help you cover up depression is the "go to" method in handling depression. I am not saying this is the wrong thing to do. But I will say that the medication you are given does help you cope because it numbs you to any emotion and it covers up the depression with a pretty band aid, but what happens when you come off the medication? The band aid will be ripped off so fast and the depression is waiting there for you. Its like when I was on drugs, I would do so much drugs that I would stay high for days at a time because I knew that once I came down the depression is waiting right there for me, and so its a viscous cycle! The only difference is that the medication given to you by a doctor is legal. I know first hand that there are legit medical issues that can make depression active in your life! For example, I know personally that Hormones can greatly trigger depression! What helps me is staying busy and getting off the couch! Seriously! Get up do something, anything to keep your mind busy. You can go outside for a walk, clean, just drive around somewhere, and listen to praise music or whatever music makes you feel good! And of course the most important thing to help with depression is my #1 go to and that is CHOCOLATE!!! :) But for real the #1 go to is and will always be my amazing counselor, father, king and that is Jesus! He alone is the Only TRUE LASTING Hope!!! The depression will still try to overcome you but all you have to do is cry out to the one who loves you more that you can ever imagine! His Light will make the darkness disappear and His Love with make the depression melt away! However He will ask of you to assist yourself with Him as your guide to push through the depression! I know He can make the depression just completely disappear, but again with me as he always does, He allows me to assist Him in coming out of the depression because that is the way I personally learn what He is trying to teach me! Each one of us is different and He will handle each of our issues differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment