Thursday, July 3, 2014

Stability is Growth

I have never known stability my whole life until recently. I have never known what it means to establish a root system that is secure and will last. As a child I grew up in a home that was full of love, but no stability. My momma tried she really did! But see my dad was in Indiana and she was going to nursing school and being pretty much a single mom to three children herself. My parents had their own battles with addiction that overtook them at times, as it has my brothers and I in later years, but I knew without a shadow of a doubt that my parents loved my brothers and I so dearly! My father came back into picture when I was 8 and the addictions my father and mother had caused them to leave for days and even weeks at a time. So I learned from an early age to not get close to anyone they leave.
See I was in the state of Tennessee custody from 12-15 and in over 30 different facilities and foster homes in those years. So I learned to never get settled in anywhere and get close to anyone cause I could be placed somewhere else the next day, usually by my own misbehaving or running away.
When I came to live in Alabama with my grandmother I made some friendships but it was never hard for me to drop them because that's what I have always known. Then when the drugs started that was perfect for me because I can't tell you anyone's last name's or even real names because we never told anyone. Also when I was on drugs, I like my parents did, left for days at a time and usually ended up all alone walking down streets because I was either left or choose to leave the people I was with.
So being alone never had bothered me much. I feel much more comfortable in the walls of my home. It's what I've always known never get to close to anyone and never let anyone know the real you. It's safe. I am learning how to have relationships that are real and last. I am learning not to run when I feel I'm letting people get to close. So much has changed and been healed for me.
I still have a ways to go. But isn't that what this life is about is being in the process of healing and restoring what was lost so that we can be used to love others and be a light in the darkness.
So if you know someone who is titled as "the loner" don't judge them. They may too just be living what they know, what has grown to be a comfort mechanism wrapped in fear and don't know how to have relationships. I've been there! I know:)
And if you are the one who is learning to have stability and let others get close to you. What you have to do is one step at a time. Ignore the voices of fear and allow your self to be open and vulnerable in a safe place. For me it was at my church during worship. I would just close my eyes and allow God to flow down around me and the tears just fell. This is healing and is Growth. Pray for God to surround you with strong and trustworthy  Christians  so that they can show you what a friend is and teach you how to be one in return. And before you know it you will be a social butterfly with no fear just trust! God will lead you through the healing process. You just have to allow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment